Canada Family

If you are a citizen or permanent resident of Canada and at least 18 years old, you can sponsor certain relatives to come to Canada. Your relatives can live, study and work in Canada if they become permanent residents.

Family Sponsorship

If you are more than 18 and a Canadian Citizen or Canadian Permanent Resident, you may be eligible to sponsor certain relatives to come to Canada.

  • Spousal sponsorship -You can sponsor your spouse or common-law partner whether they are in or outside Canada.
  • Parent and Grandparent sponsorship – as a sponsor you have to responsible to provide financial support to your parents or grandparent and ensure that they do not seek social assistance from the Canadian government.
  • Dependent Child and Other Sponsorship – Dependent children may be eligible to come to Canada in order to reside with their parent(s). This includes adopted children. An orphaned brother, sister, nephew, niece, or grandchild may also be eligible under this category. In exceptional circumstances, other family members may also be eligible.

Sponsors and applicants have to meet sponsorship requirements to sponsor and be sponsored.

Processing time

Processing is done on a complete application and the processing time depends on the type of sponsorship as well as whether it is inside or outside Canada application.

Type of sponsorship application Processing Time IN MONTH Notes
Spouse, common‑law partner or dependent child 5 – 35 Depends on the visa office where the application is being processed
Parents and grandparents 15 – 80

For more information on Family sponsorship – you may contact us.